Happy Monday! Did you have a great weekend? In today’s video I demonstrate a smoothie with hemp. Hemp seed is a relatively new addition to my diet but it truly a wonderful raw superfood for many reasons:
- supplies more levels of iron than red meat or flax seed
- greatest source of protein in the vegetable kingdom
- hemp is NEVER genetically modified
- is an ideal balance of omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- can be purchased in seed, oil or flour form – seeds can be hulled or unhulled.
- can be assistive for people with high cholestrol, blood pressure, blood sugar obesity, constipation, fatigue & depression
- also great for weight loss as it provides long term appetite satisfaction (similar to chia seeds)
In the video I say we only need 4 teaspoons a day – I meant 4 tablespoons – I ALWAYS get tablespoons and teaspoons confused!!! Vitamin C consumption always enhances the bodies ability to absorb iron when consumed together so the following recipe although includes plenty of iron in the hemp and spinach, the berries compliment perfectly by providing the Vitamin C needed.
Iron & Protein Packed Smoothie
2 frozen bananas 1 cup of strawberries (fresh or frozen) 1 cup of raspberries (fresh or frozen) 1 cup of packed spinach (fresh or frozen) 1/2 cup of hemp seeds (mine are hulled) 3 cups of water If you are in Australia, you might find it a little hard to get hold of hemp seeds, oil or flour but here are some suppliers:
If you are in Saudi or Bahrain, I have found hemp protein powder brand name V-Pro (hemp flour) in the compound commissary, Lulu in Saudi and also in Al Hosra in Bahrain.