This recipe is full of healthy fats to sustain you and keep you going all morning and you can whip it up in minutes.
- 1/2 cup freshly ground golden flax
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sweetener of your choice (I use stevia–you could use raw honey or coconut nectar)
- Generous dash of cinnamon
- Boiling water (enough to make a porridge consistency–start off 1/4 cup then keep stirring and adding more as needed)
- Pinch of good quality salt
Grind your golden flax seeds in either a coffee grinder or your blender. Now turn the kettle on and boil some water.
Pour your ground golden flax into a small breakfast bowl then pour over some boiled water quickly stirring so the mix does not clump together.
Add in your coconut oil, salt, cinnamon and sweetener and continue to stir. Flax seeds absorb lots of water so continue to add water and stir till you get a lovely porridge like consistency.
Top with your favourite berries, more cinnamon and I love to add coconut yogurt if I have any on hand.
Tips: Store flax and other nuts and seeds in the fridge or freezer to help them stay fresh longer. Always grind you flax seeds fresh just before using because they can go rancid rather quickly so fresh is best.